Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mr. Loyd's Philosophy




As I embark on this new blog, I want to articulate some of my deepest-held tenets concerning education and life.  Any time I contemplate this far-ranging topic, my brain goes into overload.  There are so many things I want to share, both with former students and fellow educators. 

The main stumbling block is having a system of meaningful organization within the vast realm of educational topics.
So rather than submit an intricately outlined document to you, a polished finished work, allow me to share some “gleanings.”  Because that is the way my educational philosophy has come to me.  Not in a neatly packaged final product, but in a fluid, flexible, adaptable manner.  In fact, it’s not a stretch to say that my philosophy has been impacted by every event in my memory banks to some degree.



The love and compassion of my parents in my pre-school years may have been a reason I hated school from the very start.  That’s right—I HATED it!  I wanted to go HOME-- where I was loved! It was the same emotion my father expressed about school in a junior college autobiography in 1932.  But we both LOVED LEARNING.  And there’s a distinction between school and learning.  I can’t condemn all the practices of education in the 1960’s, because they were obviously successful in transmitting the basic skills I would need.  And my own shy personality prevented me from gaining some of the social advantages school fosters.  But sadly, many things showed me what school should not be like.

Through increasingly positive high school experiences, then a transformational period which included college at UNC-Chapel Hill and summers at Camp Cherokee for Boys, my interests, gifts, and opportunities came together.  Looking back, I can see that even the most unpleasant memories of school were as important as the happy ones in helping me formulate my own teaching philosophy.  The worst, least effective, and most unjust practices I witnessed caused me to evaluate everything I did in the classroom through the memory of my own child’s eye.  I believe this empathy, being able to project myself into the viewpoint of my students, is responsible for a large part of my success as a teacher.  Each time I approached a lesson or topic, I asked myself: “Is this subject intrinsically motivating to a child, or do I need to devise a ‘hook’ of sorts?”  I had learned from my mentor Jane McConnell at Camp Cherokee, “There are 999 ways to reach a child.  And when all of those have failed, there’s still one more.”  In other words, there’s always another path to success.  And I strongly believe that was just as important with behavioral issues as academic ones.



My other Camp Cherokee mentor was Don Moore, a Moore County Schools master teacher at Southern Pines.  He was instrumental in my change of majors to elementary education, and then my application to Moore County.  Dr. Jim Brock gave me my chance at Sandhills Farm Life Elementary in 1975.  He gently guided me through the learning curve of my first years.  He and a succession of other fine principals gave me the professional liberty to think and teach “outside the box” throughout my career.  As I gleaned techniques and wisdom from other teachers, from workshops, and most of all through classroom experience, I matured into a more effective teacher.  There has been much national research into educational “best practices.”  The classroom itself was my laboratory for 33 years, and as I grew, I added, subtracted, adapted, and tweaked my approach, to arrive at my own “best practices.” Over and over, I have thanked God for giving me the family, the experiences, and the open doors that have brought me through six decades with an abiding sense of great happiness and fulfillment.  I am thankful for God's wisdom and love, and for those same qualities in people He brought into my life.

Future posts on this blog will examine some of my strongly held beliefs in detail.  I will examine some successful lessons, techniques, and ideas.  I will show samples of student activities designed with motivation and success in mind.  And there will be a wealth of memories for former students, including photos, notes, and even samples of our writing.  I plan to add frequently, so I hope you will be a regular guest, whether you are a friend, a former student, a parent, or an educator.  And a few of you out there fall into ALL FOUR of those categories!  You are all welcome to revisit Mr. Loyd’s Adventure Classroom.



Each new post will be announced on Facebook
 and comments are welcome.

1 comment: